The quality of workmanship matters a lot when it comes to finishing your hardwood floors but beyond that, the quality of the materials used matters more! Polyurethane is the protective coating for hardwood floors and the brand of polyurethane will have a huge impact on the durability and aesthetic properties of your floors. In this article, I am going to walk you through the best-grade polyurethane products available for the best results.
- Best For Floors: Minwax 13022000 Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane For Floors
- Best with sanding: Varathane Premium Oil-Based Clear Floor Finish
- Best for Kitchen Floor: ZAR Oil-Based Polyurethane Wood Finish
- Best for Patios: Rust-Oleum 260165 Ultimate Polyurethane
- Best Satin for Hardwood floors: Dura Seal 1G Satin 310 Polyurethane
- Best Semi-gloss for Hardwood: Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane
- Best Sealer for Hardwood: RUST-OLEUM FBA 230031 Varathane Waterborne Diamond Floor Finish
The fast-drying time this product has makes it a great choice as you do not have to wait for extended periods between coats when there is a need to make multiple coats. The Minwax super fast-drying polyurethane also has a self-leveling quality which means that no sanding is required between coats.
This Minwax product has a low odor, dries fast, and is crystal clear. In addition to protecting the natural beauty of the hardwood floor, it adds to the beauty of the wood. It has few volatile organic compounds and can be recoated in as little time as two hours which is a great feature when compared to other polyurethanes.
- It has a super-fast drying time.
- It dries in a perfectly smooth coat.
- It requires no extra sanding between coats.
- It is specialized for use on hardwood floors.
- It can be re-coated more quickly than most other products.
- It gives good value for every penny spent.
- It is prone to hardening in the can if not stored correctly.
- It may slightly affect people with breathing problems during application.
Varathane Premium Oil-Based Clear Floor Finish provides outstanding scratch and stain resistance to keep your interior hardwood floors looking great. It is recommended for interior bare hardwood floors as it would not give good results when used on surfaces such as linoleum, vinyl, glazed tiles, or metal. It has astonishing durability hence, it is ideal for high-traffic areas in kitchens and hallways.
The Varathane Premium oil-based Floor Finish improves the quality of wood by improving its appearance and value of wood. It has an attractive semi-gloss finish that highlights the natural beauty of the wood. This product is designed to resist stains and household chemicals making it versatile and suitable for hardwood floors and keeping it in good condition for extended periods.
- It gives an elegant finish.
- It has a low odor emission.
- It is durable and scratch-resistant.
- It is suitable for high-traffic areas.
- It takes a longer time to dry out.
- It is slightly higher in price.
It brings out the natural beauty of the wood as it applies a clear, smooth, and self-leveling finish to the surface. With this product, particular caution should be taken in its application so as not to make it too smooth to reduce the risk of accidents and falls.
This polyurethane toggles a tough abrasion-resistant layer on your hardwood floor, offering it unbeatable protection. Although it is an oil-based product, it tends to give a lighter finish to the hardwood surface, so be sure you love just that light natural look. The fast-dry nature of this product coupled with its durability makes it a great choice. In terms of cost, it is also a great deal as it sits comfortably between the extremes of ‘cheap’ and ‘expensive’.
- It is made with a fast-drying formula.
- It is self-leveling and gives a smooth finish.
- It is specially formulated for hardwood floors.
- It gives a strong finish to wood surfaces.
- The floor may become too smooth.
- It is a relatively expensive product.
Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane provides a long-lasting protective finish for hardwood floors with a distinguished soft-touch texture providing resistance to scratches and stains. It has an easy-to-clean water-based formula with low odor. So, if you ever need to have this soft-touch feel on your floors, all you need is this product and an application brush to start you out.
- It is very easy to use.
- It is easy to clean.
- It gives a nice matte finish.
- It is water-based.
- It is scratch and smudge-resistant.
- Its matte design tends to alter the natural wood grain appearance.
For this particular reason, it is very useful if you have a large surface to cover. The reviews from customers of this product are equally amazing as it rains praises for its durability and ability to form uniform coats with minimal troubles.
The pricing of the Dura Seal 1G Satin 310 Polyurethane is fair enough and relatively cheaper although the price tag appears massive compared to others at first glance. This is because this product comes in a one-gallon size whereas its close substitutes come in one-quartz, which is equivalent to one-quarter of the gallon size. The product may require more coats to achieve the advertised potential but this does not bring about an increase in cost. It is ideal for large projects or several small projects because of its increased content.
- It gives very good value for money.
- It has a very large coverage capacity.
- It gives a durable finish.
- It is not ideal for small projects.
- It requires more coats to get the desired results.
You can add a lot of value also to your furnishings as it can be used on both finished and unfinished wooden surfaces. It has a super-fast drying quality and levels out evenly on application.
This Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane is easy to use and makes wood easy to be cared for as it offers maximum protection against an array of potential damages. Upon application, this polyurethane dries very fast and is assured to bring long-lasting beauty on different wood surfaces. It gives a durable finish while enhancing the natural beauty of the wood grains. This particular product comes in a one-gallon container and is suitable for large projects.
- It is very durable.
- It gives wood surfaces a sparkling semi-gloss finish.
- It is convenient for all types of wood.
- It is suitable for large projects.
- It is not suitable for small projects.
- It can dry out in the can if not stored properly.
It is manufactured with a water-based formula which increases its versatility and uses for a variety of surfaces, especially hardwood floors.
It has a gloss finish and can greatly improve the appearance of your hardwood floors and generally increase the value of your home. This product is ideal if you want to improve the appearance of your home and keep your wooden surfaces or furnishings protected for longer periods. It is suitable for hardwood floors with high traffic because of its scuff-resistant feature.
- It gives a high gloss finish to hardwood.
- It makes fast application possible with its quick drying time.
- It is scuff and abrasion-resistant.
- It is a water-based formula and is easy to apply.
- It is very durable.
- It has a little odor although ‘no odor’ is advertised on the manufacturer’s read.
WHAT IS THE BEST POLYURETHANE FOR STAIRS AND HOW MANY COATS ARE REQUIRED FOR EACH STEP?
It is advised to use the same product for both stairs and floors to maintain a uniform effect. It is equally important to note that since stairs generally get the most traffic with gravity putting some extra force on it, it is necessary to choose polyurethane that is strong, resistant to abrasion, and durable. For steps, I would recommend applying at least three coats of protective covering (polyurethanes) to ensure that it can withstand the high traffic.
WHAT KIND OF FORMULA IS BEST FOR MY HOME?
Polyurethanes come in basically two classifications; the water-based formula and the oil-based formula. The choice on which to use depends on what you intend to achieve in your surfaces. The water-based formula is ideal if you wish to maintain the natural beauty and grain of the wood because they generally give clear finishes to the wooden surfaces. The oil-based formula, on the other hand, may alter the natural look of wood by making it appear a little darker but yet offers better durability and is ideal for external use. Water-based formula has less odor and is ideal for interior use. In the end, the choice on which to use depends on what you wish to achieve in your hardwood floor.
WHAT IS THE LIFESPAN OF POLYURETHANES?
Polyurethanes generally have a long life span. In fact, in some cases, under normal use and regular wear and tear, wear and tear, polyurethanes exceed the lifespan of the products/surfaces it is being used on. They have a general long life span and keep surfaces protected for very long periods maintaining beauty and purpose.
ARE POLYURETHANES EXPENSIVE?
The answer is NO! Affordability is one of the greatest advantages of polyurethanes. It is such that the major reason they are getting really popular is that with the many advantages they have, one should expect to have some ‘deep pockets’ to afford them. But on the contrary, they are a relatively inexpensive choice. In terms of their performance and what is saved during their lifetime, polyurethanes are very competitive in price.
The brand of polyurethane you get to use on your hardwood floors can have a great impact on the appearance and durability of your floors. This article has been painstakingly prepared using professional advice, customer reviews, and component ingredients to provide you with the best products when you want to make a choice on which polyurethanes to use for your hardwood floors. I believe that having gone through this piece, you can make the right choice for your hardwood floors with keen precision and achieve great results.